SKT-SP Standard Post System
The same SKT already in use all across America
- Enhanced upper and lower bolted Post #1
- Hinged W6 Post #2, no ground strut
- Cost savings for Post #3 and beyond:
- Generic standard W6 steel guardrail posts
- Standard W-Beam rail sections
- Simplified installation and maintenance
How the SKT Functions
The SKT (Sequential Kinking Terminal) is an energy absorbing tangent terminal. The SKT is 50′-0″ long and has 8 posts. NCHRP 350 APPROVED!
During head-on impacts, the SKT head slides over the W-beam guardrail. The rail is sequentially kinked or bent as it moves through the head. The kinked guardrail exits the head safely and the vehicle is brought to a controlled stop. When impacted along the side within the length-of-need, the SKT functions like guardrail. The errant vehicle is safely redirected back toward its original travel path.
Benefits and Features
- The only component different from the FLEAT is the impact head. This greatly reduces inventory requirements.
- The forces required to push the impact head down the rail are lower than other tangent end terminals.
- The impact head weighs less than 175 pounds. The high strength steel construction and lower impact forces results in a better performing design.
- The impact head is significantly easier to remove from the rail compared to competitive systems.
- The refined design over older technology improves the impact performance efficiency. The longer impact head and improved cable anchor bracket results in a better terminal.
- The SKT is available from multiple distributors. This means the end of sole source supply.
- The SKT is available in a 2, 4, or 8 foundation tube option.
- Fits a wide range of applications:
- Wood or Steel Posts
- Test Level 2 and 3 Speed