SKT-SP Standard Post System
The same SKT already in use all across America
- Enhanced upper and lower bolted Post #1
- Hinged W6 Post #2, no ground strut
- Cost savings for Post #3 and beyond:
- Generic standard W6 steel guardrail posts
- Standard W-Beam rail sections
- Simplified installation and maintenance
How the SKT Functions
The SKT (Sequential Kinking Terminal) is an energy absorbing tangent terminal. The SKT is 50'-0" long and has 8 posts. NCHRP 350 APPROVED!
During head-on impacts, the SKT head slides over the W-beam guardrail. The rail is sequentially kinked or bent as it moves through the head. The kinked guardrail exits the head safely and the vehicle is brought to a controlled stop. When impacted along the side within the length-of-need, the SKT functions like guardrail. The errant vehicle is safely redirected back toward its original travel path.
SOIL PLATE OPTION:
The FHWA now allows the 4'-6" long foundation tubes at posts 3 & 4 or posts 3 - 8 to be installed without the soil plates. This design is optional and the contract plans must be followed. See FAQ's for additional information.
Benefits and Features
- The only component different from the FLEAT is the impact head. This greatly reduces inventory requirements.
- The forces required to push the impact head down the rail are lower than other tangent end terminals.
- The impact head weighs less than 175 pounds. The high strength steel construction and lower impact forces results in a better performing design.
- The impact head is significantly easier to remove from the rail compared to competitive systems.
- The refined design over older technology improves the impact performance efficiency. The longer impact head and improved cable anchor bracket results in a better terminal.
- The SKT is available from multiple distributors. This means the end of sole source supply.
- The SKT is available in a 2, 4, or 8 foundation tube option.
- Fits a wide range of applications:
- Wood or Steel Posts
- Test Level 2 and 3 Speed
- Also Available: SKT-LITE, shortened (37' 6" long) system with wood or steel posts.
A Hinged Steel Post Option is available for the SKT. The drawing is available in the Downloads section of this page.
(click to enlarge)
(click to enlarge)
Design Options for SKT
According to 2013 FARS data, 72% of all fatal accidents occur on two-lane roads.
The BCT Failed the TL-2 Crash Testing
The SKT meets NCHRP 350 Test Level 2 criteria. All of the components are the same as the Test Level 3 (100 km/hr) design. The length is simply reduced.
|Test Level 2||Test Level 3|
|Speed||70 km/hr||100 km/hr|
These Test Level 2 designs will cost less to supply, install and maintain.
- SKT-SP METRIC Installation Manual
- SKT Wood Post Installation Manual
- SKT / FLEAT Test Level 2 Supplemental Installation Manual
- SKT Steel Hinged Post Installation Manual
- SKT-SP and FLEAT-SP Steel Post Installation Manual
- SKT-SP Terminal TL-3 Standard Post System (METRIC) Drawing
- SKT-SP Terminal TL-3 Standard Post System (US) Drawing
- SKT Wood Post System Drawing
- SKT Assembly Drawing For Hinged Post
- April 2, 1997 SKT Approval
- June 10, 1998 Foundation Tube and Blockout Options
- August 27, 1999 SKT & FLEAT Steel Post Approval
- February 4, 2000 SKT Test Level 2 Approval
- March 23, 2001 SKT Eliminating Soil Plates
From Tubes 3 Through 8
- October 30, 2002 SKT Hinged Steel Post Approval
- July 14, 2004 SKT LITE Shortened 37'-6" Long System
With Wood or Steel Posts
- August 20, 2004 SKT & FLEAT Steel Post Hinged
With Single 3/4" Bolt.
- June 1, 2008 SKT Universal Posts
- September 17, 2008 SKT-SP Standard Post System